Dependent Applications for Visa
Dependent Applications for F/J Visa
The spouse and unmarried minor of an F-1/J-1 student may accompany the student to the United States or follow to join the student at a later date. The dependent family member will be admitted in F-2/J-2 status provided they establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry that they have sufficient funds to cover their expenses; that they intend to leave the United States upon the termination of the status of the principal alien (F-1/J-1); and if the dependents are following to join the student, that “the F-1/J-1 student is, or will be within 60 days, enrolled in a full course of study or if the student is engaged in approved practical training following completion of studies”. Proof of their relationship to the F-1/J-1 principal (e.g. marriage license / certificate, birth certificate) may be requested at the time of visa interview.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: The F-1/J-1 student must submit the following official documents to the International Student Service Office for a dependent(s) SEVIS Form I-20/DS-2019 to be issued:
- Dependent Application
- F-1/J-1 Student’s current SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 (pages 1 & 3)
- Copy of Marriage Certificate
- Copy of Birth Certificate(s) for each child
- Copy of each dependent’s Passport biographical page
- Financial statement that ensures support for the F-2/J-2 dependent(s): This document must be an original and currently dated financial statement showing US dollars and support in addition to the required funds for the student. If the F-1/J-1 student is employed on campus, an original and currently dated letter from the on-campus employer stating the length of employment and the employment amount. If the F-1 student is currently on OPT, it is recommended that the student’s employer issue a letter stating employment title and yearly salary. This letter is in addition to the financial statement. A copy of the OPT EAD card is also required.
|GRADUATE STUDENT||UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT|
|Funds for Student||$25,946.00||Funds for Student||$28,146.00|
|Spouse Living Expenses & Health Insurance||$4,080.00||Spouse Living Expenses & Health Insurance||$4,080.00|
|Each Child's Living Expenses & Health Insurance||$2,896.00||Each Child's Living Expenses & Health Insurance||$2,896.00|
|Total for Student & Spouse||$30,026.00||Total for Student & Spouse||$32,226.00|
|Total for Student, Spouse & Child||$32,922.00||Total for Student, Spouse & Child||$35,122.00|
|Total for Student & 1 Child||$28,842.00||Total for Student & 1 Child||$31,042.00|
Exception: If the student is pursuing OPT, they must provide a copy of their OPT EAD card and financial documents as follows:
|GRADUATES (Student & Spouse)||$23,500.00 + $1,500.00 for each child|
|UNDERGRADUATES (Student & Spouse)||$25,580.00 + $1,500.00 for each child|
Note: All the above tuition fees are subject to change. Please click here for updated information.